Can a charge of 'perverting the course of justice' be brought against somebody who has willingly made a false allegation?

20th Jul 2018

I work in supported housing with aduts affected by mental health issues. I am currently a suspected party in a safeguarding investigation after a client I had been assigned and who didn`t like my approach made a complaint of sexual harrassment. This is completely ficticious and born out of a wish to see me dismissed from my post. However, I have numerous emails and contact notes that are date stamped and saved within internal systems that clearly detail all of our interactions going back since I began in post and that will prove the phoney nature of the allegation. However, this is a dastardly and slanderous act that is causing me much anxiety and stress. The client is not unwell and is currently of sound mind. Given this, and the fact that I feel there should be consequences for this malicuious and deliberate act. I believe that the charge would be perverting the course of justice, but I would like clarity on this matter if possible?

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Kent Criminal Law

    Yes, provided that there is sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution against that party. The Crown Prosecution Service apply a two-stage test to all prosecutions that they bring (at least in theory). The first part of the test is evidential, is there a realistic prospect of a successful prosecution? The second test is as to whether the prosecution is in the 'public interest'? In circumstances such as you describe, where there are mental health issues involved, it may be that the Crown would take the view that the public interest may not be served in pursing a prosecution. However, I have had cases where makers of false allegations of rape and sexual assault have been prosecuted.


    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Kent Criminal Law

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • ABH conviction, release on tag, social services

    My partner recently got found guilty for ABH on his family member, however she admitted it wasn’t true and was exaggerated but he still was found guilty and given 26 months.  I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant to him and I also have a 4 year old to a previous partner. My quiestion is regarding Social Services. He was bailed to my address...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer
  • I am trying to establish how long I need to see the national probation services.

    In April 2017 I was given a 12 month sentence, suspended for two years. I was initially told by the NPS offender manager assigned to me that I would need to see the NPS for 12 months. The last time I had a meeting with the NPS offender manager was in July 2017. However, I have now received a letter setting up a new meeting with the NPS on September...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    0161 427 0084

    2 Answers

  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors

    0203 959 9123

    2 Answers

  • Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    01492 588200

    1 Answer