If you have an ongoing case and the electronically monitored curfew is a bail condition, how do you change address?

9th Apr 2018

I have someone living with me for the last 5 weeks who was on trial and on an electronically monitored curfew as part of the bail condition. His case was scheduled to finish by around 13th April 2018 but unfortunately due to legal technicalities a re-trial has provisionally been set for 26th November 2018.

I am unable to accommodate him for the next 8-10 months and need the address changed - how complicated is this and what are the time frames generally involved?

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Kent Criminal Law

    Provided that the defendant has a new 'suitable' address to go to, it is a failry simple matter. I am assuming that he is represented? His solicitors (or the defendant) just need to get the matter listed before the relevant court for a bail variation. A minimum 48 hours notice needs to be given and the Crown Prosecution Service should be served with the details of the change at the same time the notice is sent to the court, including details of the new bail address and the reasons the variation is needed. The CPS will get the police to check the new address and ensure that it is suitable. If the address change isn't contentious and the Crown don't have any issues with the change, it may be possible for the variation to be dealt with administratively (ie without the need for a hearing). 

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Kent Criminal Law

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors

    0203 959 9123

    6 Answers

  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    0161 427 0084

    2 Answers

  • Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    01492 588200

    2 Answers

  • Vectis Law Limited

    Vectis Law Limited

    01983 897050

    2 Answers

  • QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    01773 540480

    1 Answer