Can I sue my employer for deliberate false statements made during an investigation into my conduct. The documents have been shared widely.

1st Apr 2020

I was under investigation for various allegations.

Some of the staff made deliberate false statements about me and events.

One member of staff was telling people I was going to kill them and my employer did not act on this.

As a result the documentation has been shared across multiple divisions and I have been awaiting redeployment.

I have suffered serious professional harm to my reputation and to my ability to find employment in other employers in our local area.

I have been off sick for many months and have developed a severe depression, anxiety and self harm with suicidal ideation.

Can I sue my employer for the professional harm (Defamation/Libel/etc) as well as the harm to myself?

Many thanks

CATEGORY: Employment


1 answer
  • Summerfield Browne Limited

    An employer is under a duty to investigate matters in full and allow an employee reasonable time prepare their case. Some employers may opt to appoint an impartial investigator to consider the evidence and produce a report. Where an employee is facing potentially career threatening allegations, the standard required for an investigation is higher. An employer must conduct an “even-handed, careful enquiry” – meaning the investigator must focus equally on any potential evidence that may point towards your being not guilty and/or innocent of the allegations against you. To determine whether there are grounds to bring a cause of action against your employer will require a deeper evaluation of the situation.  


    Should you require further information then please do contact Summerfield Browne Solicitors on 0800 567 7595 or email on

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Summerfield Browne Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Employment solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Employment law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Orwillo and Co Solicitors Ltd

    Orwillo and Co Solicitors Ltd

    02081096559 or 07957676288

    1 Answer

  • Magara Law

    Magara Law


    1 Answer