Purpose of this policy
The types of personal information we collect
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). When you interact with our sites and services, depending on the site or service, we may collect the following personal information directly from you:
- Account or Registration Information where needed to use our sites and services, and may include your name, address, email address, telephone number, user account name and password;
- Contact Information, which may include your name, address, email address, social media account names, website address and/or telephone number;
- Payment Information where needed to process payments and generally includes your credit or debit card number, expiration date, and card verification number;
- Transaction Information, which may include information about how you interact with and use our sites and services, email, other communications, and applications, and how you interact with merchants, business partners, and service providers;
- Your Submissions, which generally includes information you voluntarily provide through free form text boxes, forums, document upload, or data retrieval or import;
In each of the above instances, you will know what personal information we collect through our sites and services because you voluntarily and directly provide it to us.
User Generated Content, Questions, Profiles, Reviews and Ratings
You may choose to publicly disclose personal information about yourself and others in the course of (i) contributing user generated content (for instance articles, user bio, reviews or ratings), (ii) communicating with others in our online forums, (iii) creating user profiles for public view, or (iv) posting images, photos, or videos.
Why do we process your personal information?
We will only collect and use your personal information in accordance with data protection laws. We will only process your personal data if at least one of the following basis applies:
- you have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes - for example, by using our Ask a Solicitor service.
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, or in order to take steps at the request of you prior to entering into a contract - for example, if you apply to join our Site as a member.
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject;
- processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or of another natural person;
- processing is in our legitimate interests or those of a third party such as our credit card payment processing, unless these interests are overridden by the fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject (this will normally be you). For example, we rely on our legitimate interest basis to analyse and improve our Services and the content on our websites and apps, to send you information about our services, and offer you suggestions about similar products and services that might interest you. We can use your personal information in this way because it is in our legitimate interests to provide you with relevant information when appropriate, so that we may look at ways of establishing and extending our relationship with you.
We may use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognize you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalize our content for you and remember your preferences.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
This website is not intended for children, and as such we do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you are aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
Data storage and protection
Keeping information about you secure is very important to us so we store and process your personal information in accordance with the high standards required under data protection legislation. From time to time and for operational reasons the personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Your information may also be processed by some of our service providers which operate outside the EEA. Different countries have different data protection and security laws and some of these do not offer the same level of protection as you enjoy under UK data protection legislation. However, when we appoint our service providers to help us provide products and services to you (which may include some based in the USA), we take care to ensure that they have appropriate security measures in place.
We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. However, we can't guarantee its security. By using our Site you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements.
Disclosing your information
We are allowed to disclose your information in the following cases:
- If we want to sell our business or our company, we can disclose it to the potential buyer.
- If we want to sell or buy any business, or assets, we can disclose your personal data to the potential buyer or seller of such business or assets.
- We can disclose it if we have a legal obligation to do so, or in order to protect other people's property, safety or rights.
- We can exchange information with others to protect against fraud or credit risks.
- In connection with legal proceedings (including prospective proceedings).
We contract with third parties to supply our Services to you on our behalf. We use a variety of third-party vendors, such as our partners and suppliers for payment processing, search engine facilities, email communications, technical, advertising and marketing. In some cases, these third parties may require access to some or all of your data.
We only share the appropriate level of personal data to enable the supplier to provide their services. Where your data is required to be shared we will take all reasonable steps to ensure it is handled safely and securely and in accordance with our and the suppliers' obligations under GDPR and the law.
Links to other sites
Under the GDPR, you have the right to control how your personal information is used in the following ways:
- You can ask for a copy of your personal data held by us, at no cost to you
- You can ask us to correct any personal information that we hold about you or inform us about any changes to your personal information
- You can request that your personal data be transferred to another person (data portability)
- You can ask to be informed of what data processing is taking place
- In certain situations, you can ask that we restrict processing of, or object to the processing of, your personal data
- In certain situations, you can ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection legislation.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
How to contact us
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Last updated 20th August 2018