My employer canceled a self employed contract which stipulated I was entitled to 3 months notice.

11th Jul 2019

My employer canceled a self employed contract which stipulated I was entitled to 3 months notice.  My employer said he could only afford 1 months notice, but could pay the remainder, only if I could work the remaining 2 months notice period over 15 months it would take him to pay me the money owed. He would only be able to afford to do this if I could support his clients who would pay their support contracts and thus he would be able to pay me the money he owed.

Me being a good man not wanting to see him go banckrupt, helped him out and agreed to the repayment arangement.

I have since found out that he did have the means to pay me and he lied to me to get me to enter the new agreement.

My question is; is the new agreement valid as he got me to agree under false pretenses? OR does he owe me the complete amount without me needing to continue to support his clients?

CATEGORY: Employment


1 answer
  • Curwens LLP

    I would suggest reverting to the original agreement to see whether there are any provisions that govern how any changes to the agreed terms can be effective, whether they need to be in writing etc. Secondly, if you have agreed the changes, as long as they are in line with how variations take effect, they may be potentially legally binding between you both. A grey area as to whether the variation has taken effect is due to your sugggestion that you were effectively made to enter into the alternative agreement on the basis of a misrepresentation that you could not be paid. This could well render the variation void in which case there may a breach of the agreement in respect of the notice obligation. The course of actioin would be a claim for breach of contract.


    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Curwens LLP

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • Reduction in pay due to Covid19

    Hello, we have been advised this week that all staff from 1st April-31st December have to take a 25% pay cut each month due to Covid19. They have also said that between 1st April and 30th September we have to take 9.5 weeks additional leave at this reduced pay on top of the annual leave we already have. Are they allowed to reduce our pay and enforce...

    CATEGORY: Employment 1 answer
  • What should I do next?

    WSP have imposed a salary cut of 20% with no consultation or agreement from me or others. This is across not just the UK but the world. This is supposidly just for 3 months.

    CATEGORY: Employment 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Employment solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Employment law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Summerfield Browne Limited

    Summerfield Browne Limited

    0800 567 7595

    6 Answers

  • Curwens LLP

    Curwens LLP

    0208 363 4444

    2 Answers

  • Hattons Solicitors

    Hattons Solicitors

    01744 744400

    1 Answer