Child's father doesn't pay/ contribute to childcare. Am I in my rights to stop the Preschool giving updates?

20th Sep 2019

I'm paying out £600 a term and they give him updates all the time.



2 answers
  • Essex Family Law

    Tempting as it is to instruct the pre-school not to provide your child's father with updates, he is legally entitled to ask for (and be provided with) this information.

    The Government in it's infinite wisdom decided that lawyers and the courts should not be involved with issues over child support - and that led to the set up of the Child Support Agency (now the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission).  

    If you have not already done so, it may be worth going on line to see what sort of maintenance you should be receiving and asking them to carry out an assessment.  That way you and he will know what should be paid and there is a mechanism for collection and enforcement if necessary, although charges would apply.

    On a completely different note, have you wondered why he is asking for so much information?  Does he know how much this is winding you up??  I can seen you are paying a fair amount for your child's education.  Can  you focus on what you and your child are getting for that, rather than the fact that they are complying with their legal obligations where he is concerned?  It might help with the irritation to focus on the benefit to you and your child as opposed to him getting updates.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Essex Family Law

    Did you find this answer helpful?
  • Curwens LLP

    I agree with the previous reply and they are, in a nutshell, right. This shouldn't really be about the information he is getting from the pre-school...lots of parents would be pleased if their ex-partner took more of an interest in their child. You need to apply to the CMS (through the website) for regular maintenance.

    You may also want to consider mediation so you and he can sit down and discuss any issues regarding your child - such as the contact arrangements, but also paying towards their upkeep and education, plus how information from people (like pre-school) is shared. THis will hopefully allow any chats on these points to be constructive and amicable.


    Good luck !

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Curwens LLP

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Family solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Family law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • All time
  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors


    37 Answers

  • Kent Criminal Law

    Kent Criminal Law

    01843 799121

    29 Answers

  • Integrum Law

    Integrum Law

    0151 649 1626

    27 Answers

  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Ellis Hass Limited

    0121 746 3002

    22 Answers

  • Curzon Green Solicitors

    Curzon Green Solicitors

    01494 451355

    20 Answers