Do I need a solicitor to witness signatures for me and my husband agreeing that I get full deposit back before property equity is split?

8th Jan 2019

When me and my husband bought our first house I paid the full deposit of just over £13,000 from savings that I had. There was a verbal agreement made between us that if we were ever to sell the house then I would receive the first £13,000 back before anything else would be split equally.

However, I now want this to be confirmed in writing just in case the unfortunate was to happen.

How do I go about with doing this? Do I just write a letter confirming the amount and what is to happen, get it witnessed by a proffesional person and signed by both of us?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.



2 answers
  • OTS Solicitors

    This can be done in the form of a post-nuptial agreement addressing how finances would be dealt with in the event of a separation. It could also be done as a deed of trust which would need to be witnessed by a solicitor. In conjunction with a deed of trust you could change how the property is held from join tenants to tenants in common but you should be aware that this could have implications with respect to what would happen to the property in the event of one of you dying so you may not wish to do this.


    It would be best for you to get detailed advice wtih respect to your matter and options available to you so you can decide the best option or options for you. Please do not hesitate to contact our family department on 0203 959 9123 who would be happy to assist you.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    OTS Solicitors

    Did you find this answer helpful?
  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    You really need to take some proper advice on this - the new property needs to be held as tenants in common in unequal shares rather than as joint tenants at the Land Registry - you have not stated whether you did this but if you take advice this can quickly be checked at teh Land Registry, alongside this you should have a Trust Deed in place that sets out clearly your respective shares in the equity in the new property.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Family solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Family law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Curzon Green Solicitors

    Curzon Green Solicitors

    01494 451355

    3 Answers

  • Salma Rafiq- Solicitor (Fountain Solicitors)

    Salma Rafiq- Solicitor (Fountain Solicitors)

    07927 199072

    2 Answers

  • Hattons Solicitors

    Hattons Solicitors

    01744 744400

    2 Answers

  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Ellis Hass Limited

    0121 746 3002

    1 Answer

  • Cohen Cramer Limited

    Cohen Cramer Limited

    0113 2247804

    1 Answer