Is there a time limit attached to a claim for recovering financial investment in a property after a couple have split up?

28th Nov 2018

My son and his partner purchased a house in 2011 with the help of a ‘gifted deposit’ from his partners aunt. They have one child who now lives with the mother.

The property was mortgaged and registered in my sons sole name as his partner had a poor credit file. When they split in 2013 she stayed in the property with the child for 6 months paying all bills and mortgage. My son moved in with me and his child stayes a few nights each week. After 6 months his partner decided to move out of the property and back with her mother and my son moved back into the house paying all bills. He lived there until March 2016 when he decided to rent out the property. This is still the case. 

Last year the aunt who gifted the deposit tried to claim it back but legal advice sought at the time confirmed she can’t do that and a letter was sent to her solicitor with a copy of her signed document confirming the gift.

Now my sons ex has sent a solicitors letter claiming she is entitled to recover her own investment in the property which is stated as:-

  • A deposit
  • Insurance payments
  • Legal expenses for the purchase
  • Mortgage payments

it is 5 years since the split, so is this a valid claim?



1 answer
  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Yes it is still a valid claim, subject to having grounds.  Property disputes for couples who are not married are complex and a lot of detail will be needed to advise properly upon this.  It is important to take specialist advice at an early stage to ascertain the strength of the claim and how it should be handled.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Family solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Family law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Curzon Green Solicitors

    Curzon Green Solicitors

    01494 451355

    4 Answers

  • QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    01773 540480

    2 Answers

  • Stephen Oldham Solicitors

    Stephen Oldham Solicitors


    1 Answer

  • Curwens LLP

    Curwens LLP

    0208 363 4444

    1 Answer

  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Ellis Hass Limited

    0121 746 3002

    1 Answer