Separating from partner and worried about the risk of selling my share of our property to him in case his personal circumstances change

24th Jul 2019

I am in the process of separating and my partner wants to stay in the house. He cant raise the £105,000 needed to buy me out however he has said he would pay me £50,000 and pay the remainder of £55,000 monthly over 10 years. i have said it would have to be done legally but im still worried about the risk - how do i protect myself if say for example his personal circumstances changed if he lost hos job?



1 answer
  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Hello and thank you for your enquiry.

    I would certainly recommend that you have legal protection put in place for this type of arrangement. On the basis that you and your partner are not married, then the best protection you could obtain, short of an enforceable Court order, would be a 'Separation Agreement'. A Separation Agreement would not be legally 'binding', however it would carry legal 'weight' if there was ever a problem with payments in the future. The Agreement must be prepared properly and by following very specific procedures (e.g. you and your partner having separate independent legal advice) .

    I would be happy to speak about this further with you, so that I can provide you with more more advice, specific to your situation.

    Please feel free to contact me on 0121 746 3002 or by email to and I would be happy to help.

    Kind regards

    Greg Bowyer

    Associate Solicitor

    Ellis Hass & Co Solicitors

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Ellis Hass Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Family solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Family law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • All time
  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors


    37 Answers

  • Kent Criminal Law

    Kent Criminal Law

    01843 799121

    29 Answers

  • Integrum Law

    Integrum Law

    0151 649 1626

    27 Answers

  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Ellis Hass Limited

    0121 746 3002

    22 Answers

  • Curzon Green Solicitors

    Curzon Green Solicitors

    01494 451355

    20 Answers