My ex daughter in law has stopped me seeing my grandchildren. They live 3 doors away. How can I have access without going to court?

12th May 2020



1 answer
  • Curwens LLP

    This is a real shame and unfortunately a common problem. If there is no-one who can assist the two of you to discuss this informally (like a mutually trusted friend or someone respected within the community) your next best step is to try Mediation. If you locate a suitable family mediator (and they are still working remotely during lockdown) they can explain the process to you and if you want to try it out, offer to get in touch with your daughter-in-law. It is voluntary, but it is much quicker and cheaper than going to court.

    If this fails, you would ideally want to liaise with your son (ie the father of the children) about taking matters to court, as he has a stronger case to have contact with them. However, I appreciate I do not know the background to his position and whether he sees the children.

    For more information and to find a faily mediator please try

    Good luck with this

    AManda THurston


    Curwens LLP



    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Curwens LLP

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • How can we cross - transfer deeds after divorce?

    My ex husband and me own 50% of each other's house. We got divorce and agreed in medation who will take which house, but we never cross transfered the deeds. How do we go about this? Do we make each other a present, do we just apply to court and say this is what we want? What would have minimal tax implications as we are at the same time giving and...

    CATEGORY: Family 1 answer
  • What is my partner entitled to if we part company?

    My partner has been contributing to the mortgage for around six years. The mortgage is in my name as I purchased the house from the council. I have lived in the house 25 years and my partner had his own property when I met him. He was not entitled to be on the mortgage as he had not resided in my home long enough. He has now got himself into a situation...

    CATEGORY: Family 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Family solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Family law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Orwillo and Co Solicitors Ltd

    Orwillo and Co Solicitors Ltd

    02081096559 or 07957676288

    1 Answer

  • Magara Law

    Magara Law


    1 Answer