Actions against the police for failing to record a report regarding an assault on my daughter who was a minor when this happened

18th Jun 2018

My daughter who has learning disabilities and was 17 years of age when a person in a position of trust, whilst on a residential trip away assaulted my daughter. This incident took place in September 2105. My daughter only disclosed what happened to her in September 2016, it was reported to the police and my daughter and I even had a meeting with a Superintendent and he told me that it was not assault and that was the end of it. I have fought for over a year to obtain answers from the police and was getting nowhere. Eventually, an independent  DI from an out of area force re-looked at all the reports and his findings have clearly shown that it was common assault and should have been investigated as that but also it transpires that it was not even logged on the police system. This is what I have been sent and

it should have been reported as a crime at the time and investigated thoroughly. I can only apologise that this did not occur. Unfortunately, this is not something that we are now able to recover because there are time constraints in which we need to bring a prosecution for offences of common assault (6 months) and as we discussed, we are now outside of that time limit. Again, on behalf of xxxxx xxxxxxxxx Police I would like to apologise sincerely for the lack of action taken in relation to this incident.

What can we do to get justice for my daughter?  An apology does not give my daughter the life back that she has lost due to this and her mental health will never recover from this. Please any advice?

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Cohen Cramer Limited

    Good Morning.

    I am sorry to hear what has happened. I am not in a position to offer advise as regards to any failing on the part of the police but have you considered the possibility that your daughter via a parent/guardian may well have a civil claim for her injury. This would depend on the circumstances of the incident etc however if you would like to discuss this further you can reach me on 0113 224 7804. Regards Mike Massen, Cohen Cramer Solicitors.


    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Cohen Cramer Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • ABH conviction, release on tag, social services

    My partner recently got found guilty for ABH on his family member, however she admitted it wasn’t true and was exaggerated but he still was found guilty and given 26 months.  I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant to him and I also have a 4 year old to a previous partner. My quiestion is regarding Social Services. He was bailed to my address...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer
  • I am trying to establish how long I need to see the national probation services.

    In April 2017 I was given a 12 month sentence, suspended for two years. I was initially told by the NPS offender manager assigned to me that I would need to see the NPS for 12 months. The last time I had a meeting with the NPS offender manager was in July 2017. However, I have now received a letter setting up a new meeting with the NPS on September...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    0161 427 0084

    2 Answers

  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors

    0203 959 9123

    2 Answers

  • Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    01492 588200

    1 Answer