What information would I need on a suspicious person to apply for a Sarah’s law check on them via my local police station?

29th Aug 2018

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Vectis Law Limited


    The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme allows requests to be made to the Police for disclosure whether someone has a criminal record for child sexual offences. The scheme is for any member of the public who wants to find out if an individual in contact with a child has a record of child sexual offences.


    If Police checks show the individual has a record for child sexual offences, or other offences that might put the child at risk, the Police will consider sharing this information. The Police will only consider telling the person best placed to protect the child (usually a parent, carer or guardian) if the person being checked has a record of child sexual offences, or other offences that indicate they may pose a risk to a child. The Police can only disclose information if it is lawful, necessary and proportionate to do so in the interests of protecting the child(ren) from harm.


    An application can be put in person at a local police station or by calling 101. There is generally no set format for the application. To make a request for information, it tends simply to involve a visit your local police station, where you can express your concerns. An officer or member of staff will take the time to gather all the necessary details and discuss the next steps with you.


    After the application is submitted, the Police will assess if the person named in the application is a threat to children based on previous child sex abuse convictions.  If, on checking,  it is deemed necessary to protect the child(ren) by disclosing material information (for example, because the person has convictions for sexual offences against children, or poses a risk of causing harm to the child(ren) concerned) then this information will be given to the those who are the immediate care givers for the child. 


    Checks should be completed to ensure that there is no immediate risk of harm to the child(ren) within 24 hours of the report.


    The person being checked will not be told that they are being risk assessed unless a disclosure subsequently takes place as a result. If a disclosure does take place the person may be informed that someone is going to receive a disclosure about them.


    The Parents Protect website is very helpful.  The website of your home county police force will also provide information regarding the Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Vectis Law Limited

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Summerfield Browne Limited

    Summerfield Browne Limited

    0800 567 7595

    6 Answers

  • Curwens LLP

    Curwens LLP

    0208 363 4444

    2 Answers

  • Hattons Solicitors

    Hattons Solicitors

    01744 744400

    2 Answers