I have received a Fixed Penalty Notice for Unauthorised Deposit of Waste Section 33(1)(a)(d)/33ZA. Am I able to contest this FPN?

19th Jun 2018

I have a small business in Southwark. We produce very minimal waste, just the occassional cardoard box. I have recently deposited some cardboard in a council recycling bin in our area and received an FPN from the council for this. The recycling bin clearly states that cardboard is accepted. I did not know or have reason to suppose that the act of putting a cardboard box in this bin would constitute a contravention of Section 33(1)(a)(d)/33ZA as the notice states. 

Am I within my right to contest this FPN?

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Kent Criminal Law

    Unfortunately deposititng 'trade waste' in a recipticle intended for domestic recycling  does indeed amount to the offence quoted. It seems very petty but increasingly councils are checking to make sure that commercial premises have contracts for the disposal of their waste. Not legal advice but I have arranged for the monthly collection of my recycling with a local company for £12 per collection. I think we can expect cash strapped councils to utilise all means, fair or foul, to get revenue in their coffers in the future. As usual with these things, it is usually the low hanging fruit, that will get picked.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Kent Criminal Law

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • ABH conviction, release on tag, social services

    My partner recently got found guilty for ABH on his family member, however she admitted it wasn’t true and was exaggerated but he still was found guilty and given 26 months.  I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant to him and I also have a 4 year old to a previous partner. My quiestion is regarding Social Services. He was bailed to my address...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer
  • I am trying to establish how long I need to see the national probation services.

    In April 2017 I was given a 12 month sentence, suspended for two years. I was initially told by the NPS offender manager assigned to me that I would need to see the NPS for 12 months. The last time I had a meeting with the NPS offender manager was in July 2017. However, I have now received a letter setting up a new meeting with the NPS on September...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • Curwens LLP

    Curwens LLP

    0208 363 4444

    6 Answers

  • Hattons Solicitors

    Hattons Solicitors

    01744 744400

    6 Answers

  • Curzon Green Solicitors

    Curzon Green Solicitors

    01494 451355

    5 Answers

  • QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    01773 540480

    2 Answers

  • Ellis Hass Limited

    Ellis Hass Limited

    0121 746 3002

    1 Answer