Miscarriage of justice?

11th Jan 2018

I was attacked by four members of ex girlfriends family who then reported me for x2 assaults. I totally rebuked these charges but was found guilty by the wisdom of the magistrates court. I sold many assets and went to appeal to crown court where I was aquitted, yay! However I had to complete 200 hours community service before getting to the Crown court which devastated my business, as I had informed them it would, and also had to spend over 2,000 pounds on defence. The judge said there were no costs awarded. Now I wish to reclaim some of my losses? Is this possible as I cannot get any information from anyone so far. Please can you help?

CATEGORY: Criminal


1 answer
  • Kent Criminal Law

    As far as the unpaid work requirement of your Community Order is concerned. Alas, you  will not be compensated for that. I am assuming that you were represented both before the Magistrates Court and the Crown Court. If you paid privately for both, then on acquittal by the Crown Court an application should have been made for a Defendants Costs Order. The order would have enabled you to recoup your costs from 'central funds'. These days the amount you get back is restricted to the equivalent rate a solicitor would get under the legal aid rates and thus you would not get all of your money back. The presumption is that the court will make such an order unless they form the view that you 'brought the prosecution on yourself'. I would approach the solicitors who represented you to find out if they did apply for a DCO and if they did, why it was refused.

    Did you find this answer helpful?

    Kent Criminal Law

    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions

  • ABH conviction, release on tag, social services

    My partner recently got found guilty for ABH on his family member, however she admitted it wasn’t true and was exaggerated but he still was found guilty and given 26 months.  I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant to him and I also have a 4 year old to a previous partner. My quiestion is regarding Social Services. He was bailed to my address...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer
  • I am trying to establish how long I need to see the national probation services.

    In April 2017 I was given a 12 month sentence, suspended for two years. I was initially told by the NPS offender manager assigned to me that I would need to see the NPS for 12 months. The last time I had a meeting with the NPS offender manager was in July 2017. However, I have now received a letter setting up a new meeting with the NPS on September...

    CATEGORY: Criminal 1 answer


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors

    0203 959 9123

    4 Answers

  • Shawstone Associates Solictors

    Shawstone Associates Solictors


    3 Answers

  • Thomas Simpson Solicitors Ltd

    Thomas Simpson Solicitors Ltd

    01962 820 228

    2 Answers

  • Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    Bridge Law Solicitors Limited

    0161 427 0084

    2 Answers

  • Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    Nelson Myatt Solicitors LLP

    01492 588200

    1 Answer