What is perverting the course of justice?

16th Dec 2015

CATEGORY: Criminal

1 answer
  • Perverting the course of justice refers to a number of actions that a person might take to interfere with the administration of UK justice. To be guilty of perverting the course of justice, the individual must have made a positive action - inaction does not count as a crime in this instance.

    There are three acts that are considered to be applicable to the crime of perverting the course of justice. They are:

    • Intimidating or threatening a case witness or jury member
    • Intimidating or threatening a judge
    • Disposing of or tampering with evidence

    Intimidating behaviour is considered to be making threatening suggestions or actions to a person. These can be threats of harming a person including physical and financial harm. This can be the case whether a person aims to deter a person from reporting a crime or being a witness in a case.

    Tampering with evidence or disposing of evidence is a severe crime as evidence plays such a vital role in the ability to prosecute or defend in a case. This point refers to the full disposal of evidence, hiding of evidence or amending evidence to make it less valuable in court proceedings.

    The punishments for perverting the course of justice are severe. The Crown Prosecution service recommends a minimum sentence of at least 4 months by way of punishing acts in this area. In theory, the maximum sentence that can be given for perverting the course of justice is a lifetime sentence, though the maximum sentence that has been passed, albeit on numerous instances, is a 10 year prison sentence.

    Did you find this answer helpful?
    Did you find this answer helpful?

Can you help with this question? Provide an answer and receive contribution points to help promote your firm.

CANCEL Please ensure your response adheres to our community guidelines before posting.

You might be interested in these questions


Posting a question is completely free and we have qualified solicitors ready to help you. To get started simply click the link below.

Find a solicitor

Find a solicitor

Use our find a solicitor service to find and compare the best Criminal solicitors from around the UK. Narrow your search down to a particular town or county to find local solicitors that practice Criminal law.

View Solicitors
The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

The ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor

Hiring a solicitor for any legal issue can feel quite daunting. It is important that you make a good decision, but you may not know what to look for and how to chose a solicitor that is right for you. To help make the process easier, we have created the ultimate guide to hiring a solicitor. We have highlighted some of the key considerations you should take into account, as well as some handy tips to help make finding and choosing a solicitor both stress and hassle free.

Read More
  • This month
  • All time
  • OTS Solicitors

    OTS Solicitors

    0207 936 9960

    9 Answers

  • Integrum Law

    Integrum Law

    0151 649 1626

    5 Answers

  • ISC Lawyers LLP

    ISC Lawyers LLP

    020 7833 8453

    2 Answers

  • QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

    01773 540480

    2 Answers

  • Nicholls Law

    Nicholls Law

    01702 804 130

    1 Answer